Tuesday, January 11, 2011

day 5: picture of my favorite memory

are you kidding? I have spent nearly 30 years with someone that loves to surprise me. I have so many favorite memories it is impossible to pick just one.There is the day we got married.My first(2nd, 3rd, 4th..) trip to Disneyland,first kiss,first anything, buying my first car, bringing our Punkin home, births of Grandchildren,getting my teeth straightened, how can I possibly pick just one?? I cannot, so I am going to choose when I got my engagement ring.
The day Sid "proposed" was a Tuesday. July 15,1986. We had been living together  nearly 4 years. He says to me "well, I suppose if we are going to be together we oughta get married. How about Saturday?" I answered him, "OK. But I require a minister, no courthouse or justice of the peace." He said, "OK".
 We got matching bands that he picked out without my help or approval. I mentioned how I sometimes wished we had had a "real" wedding. That I had "missed out". No bridal shower, no wedding gifts, no bridesmaids or maid of honor. Heck I didn't even get an engagement ring.
fast forward 20 years.
I had stopped complaining about no wedding, or shower, or engagement ring...but he never forgot.
I had gained weight and needed to get my ring sized, so we took it in. They called me and told me it was ready and I could come pick it up.Well, we go in to pick it up and this is what they give me.
I FUHREAK out and say, "THIS IS NOT MY RING!!"
All I want is my wedding ring..The little gal behind the jewelry counter looks at me with a totally straight face and kinda like I am crazy and says, "yes, Ma'am, that is YOUR ring" I tell her again, NO, mine is just plain with little itty bitty diamond chips in it.She then looks at me and looks at Sid and smiles really big and says to me, IT REALLY IS YOURS. I look at Sid and he smiles at me like he has so many times and says to me, "Well, I suppose if we are going to be married and all, you oughta finally have that engagement ring."
Oh, WOW!! I was in total shock, All the jewelry store personnel were standing around watching, they thought he was the greatest guy ever.(they are right, he is). They always ask about him every time I take my ring in to be inspected and cleaned.
I tell you what, I LOVE him so. He used to say that all he ever wanted to do was make me smile and that was his goal in life.
 And, you know what? they never did size my wedding ring....
So this is what I picked for my favorite memory. It is definitely one I love to share.

2 comments:

melissa said...

Awww... love your blog! The fact that u were married on the nachez river? Way cool. I didn't have a real wedding either. It was our new pastor, his wife, the church secretary crying for us and my parents. I wore a brown dress. Blech. Maybe we will renew our vows on the nachez river....

JerriLynn said...

thanks, Melissa. Sid & I had planned on renewing our vows on a beach in Maui on our 25th anniversary. But, with his health issues that is not to be. I say it is more important the days of the marriage than the actual wedding.