Sunday, October 25, 2009

Maybe it's October?

Well, today is the 2 year anniversary of the stroke.
2 years ago our lives were forever changed. I "lost"
the man I married and got a "new" man. I had spent
a good part of the last week reflecting on the changes
that have come as a result of that day.
learning how to do the things that he always did, like
put gas in my own car, and new wiper blades, and
grocery shop, dishes, empty and reset mouse traps,
kill the spider, bug, bee, whatever creepycrawlyickythingy.
and oh so much more.
watching him struggle to find the word he wants
and only managing the f word. that one he has down.
wasn't one of his words before the stroke. =/
learning how to be patient. looking at others and realizing
we don't have a clue what someone else's life is really like.
hoping he doesn't offend someone that doesn't know he isn't
a jerk, that he just forgot it isn't OK to cut in line at the store.
realizing today that odds are good he isn't going to be able
to ride a motorcycle again, maybe not ever drive a car again.
Yesterday at 3 ish, I looked over at my sweet man
and in horror saw him having a seizure. It was the
scariest thing I have ever seen. So, you guessed it.
we spent last night and part of today in the hospital.
last October he had a seizure. At that time he was put
on 6 month restriction from driving, to be reviewed after.
Well, he stayed seizure free so was allowed full driving
rights again. We were told that if he had any more seizures,
though, he would most likely be restricted from driving again.
My heart aches for him. He has always been happiest when
he is riding his bike. A nice drive is something he really enjoys,too.
I know he feels better when he gets out and does stuff .
He had just got home from going to the store for me.
It was his first time driving since the motorcycle accident.
He hadn't been home more than 30 minutes, I am so grateful
he wasn't driving when it happened.
hard stuff, yet I am so grateful to see the blessings.
I am oh so aware that in a couple days I may have a
hard time seeing any good in my life, but , today I can see it.

No comments: