Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Scooter Madness


Wow. I got to ride my motorcycle today.. I absolutely love it. I always wanted to have a harley of my own and ride it myself. I love riding on the back of my husband's bike and have done that for years. Guess what kept me from getting my own bike? Yep, you guessed right my own fear. I wasn't even so scared of crashing and hurting myself. I, being the intellectual giant that I am, was most concerned with "looking stupid"... I was worried if I did crash, or drop it I would be embarrassed and people would just shake their heads and say...women shouldn't ride motorcycles. I was raised by a very old fashioned ex-marine turned southern baptist preacher, so it is no wonder I have these pre-conceived notions of what anyone may or may not be thinking. The total self absorption that everyone is concerned with what I may or may not be doing is ALL mine, though. God is working on that one. I used to drink, and I used to smoke(cigarettes) and I get this AHHH when I initially take that first puff or sip(used to anyway), well, that is the very exact feeling when I am riding...just that everything is OK.. I am so grateful I was able to walk through that fear. I took a motorcycle training course to see if I even had any business owning a bike. Passed that with flying colors and had my first bike the very next week-end. My husband was a little apprehensive at first, but when I told him that if I kill myself while riding I'll be with Jesus,and if I don't I'll be with him(husband)--win-win situation. Totally sold him....

2 comments:

Dennis & Jodi said...

I would LOVE a bike! Hubby and I have talked that when we retire we will buy a bike and go...everywhere and anywhere!! lol
i am so nicely jealous of you!! Enjoy the bike!

JerriLynn said...

this is actually my 2nd bike. I have been riding on my own for 2 years now. but, this is my 1st brand new, in my own name, bike. I so appreciate the comments and encouragement you give. I am really new at this and I didn't realize how therapeutic it would be.